Sunday 22 September 2013

Sprue Cutters Union #8 - My paints.


Once again I am fashionably late to the party (again). A mix of real life and my damn portable device being near impossible to create a blog post with. Anyhoo enough of my grumbling and on with the blog post.

This weeks Sprue Cutters Union theme is to talk a little about what paints we use.

Firstly for me the hobby involves the collecting, (sometimes) converting and painting of plastic, resin and metal wargames figures.

Back in the day I used enamel paints on my models. I even used it on the first figures I bought (shudders). I found enamel obscured the detail too much on a 28mm figure. 

For undercoating or priming figures I tend to use either GW Undercoat or Miniature Paints undercoat. These are Acrylic water based paints I brush on. It all works well for me. I have never been a fan of using car primer in Aerosols as I tend to find that the basecoats do not go on well over the top.

For base coating, washes and detail I am still with the Acrylic paints. I have a wide selection of GW paints, some dating back 20+ years. I am a fan of the older paints as even after 20 years they are still as good as the day I bought them. The newer GW paints are also used but I tend to find that they have a habit of mysteriously drying up in the pot if left unused for a long period of time.

Coat D Arms is another brand I like to use. It is the original GW formulas from 20 years back (or so I have been told) and it seems to work well on miniatures. I am slowly buying these as they are better value than GW and don't dry up.

Vallejo are another favourite. They come in dropper bottles to there is less waste. I find that these paints are thinner and are great for several coats to build a colour. Unlike the others they also come in a variety of colours suited for Historical collectors.

For the bases I try to use Miniature Paints. They are cheap and thicker than the others. I do not have enough MP paints to do a figure so I cannot say how they would look when finished.

I used to varnish my figures but I find now that after time it goes off colour. It has put me off using it. Instead I touch the figure up when needed. Unless someone else has found a decent miniature varnish?

That said I do tend to put a coat of thin gloss varnish on shiny surfaces such as polished boots/leather or PVC/Rubber clothing.

For vehicles I use Car primer to prime. Its not too bad if the acrylic runs as I can sand it back. I then use MP, GW or Coat d Arms to the top coats. I don't use a air brush. Maybe I should look into getting one?

Terrain is the same as vehicles paint wise. Although for larger pieces I tend to use cheap Craft paints (Deco Art) or even cheaper emulsion in tester pots.  I tend to prime using car aerosols.

Foam based terrain gets primed using Artist's Black Gesso Acrylic. It also helps seal it. I tend to mix white PVA glue in a 50:50 mix with the Gesso for a extra sealant/hardener. You can use car aerosols on it after this but be warned, if you miss a spot it may melt it.

The other trick I use for terrain is the old textured mix. I mix 50% Gesso, 30% PVA glue and 20% fine sand. It then makes a nice textured coat. Great for making that bit of plastic or polystyrene  packing foam look like concrete/stone. I have also found it handy on for heavily corroded surfaces such a shacking in Post Apocalyptic or urban setting.

A recent addition to my terrain making armoury is Galeria Matt Varnish. Wargames models get handled a lot so a little extra protection couldnt hurt. I just hope it doesnt discolour with time. I may even give it a go on a test figure to see how it works. 


Part of being in the Union means you must include links to fellow contributors' posts within your own response. If you liked this post, then perhaps you'll enjoy what some other modelers have to say about this topic!

The Combat Workshop
A Scale Canadian
Yet Another Plastic Modeller
Jay's Scale Model Adventures - New to the Union!
The Eternal Wargamer
Migrant's Wanderings
Scale Model Workbench
_____________________________________________________


Want to join the Sprue Cutters Union? Its simple. If you model and have a blog that is all you need to start. Just write a post in response to the weekly topic, copy the link in the comments section for that week's assignment and you're in! Check out more detail about joining the Sprue Cutters Union.

No comments:

Post a Comment