Friday 20 June 2014

15mm Terrain.

I have been knocking up lots of 15mm terrain. Its surprisingly quick to knock up. Now grab a grew and get comfortable as this is going to be a long post. 

The DCS Corporation cares about you needs as a colonist. We supply your every need. 

Need Power??  Then you need the Power Core. A Plasma generator that the links remotely to a power node via satellite removing the need for power lines and other what not. One feature of the Power Core is that a humble plasma rifle or cannon can charge it up or help activate it. It can be a last laugh when some raiders arrive only to  find they haven't knocked out your defenses but charged them up! 



The Power Core is inspired by the Power Cores in the Unreal Tournament 2004 computer game team games. It is built from a selection of bottle tops, pill bottles, sweet boxes and assorted junk from the bits box. It has changed a little from the WIP pics. I had several comments that it looked like a marital aid for perverts from several people (including my wife). So I added a top cap. Then the cat knocked it over breaking the central column. A bit of pinning and glue. Then when I was about to under coat it I dropped it breaking the plastic golf ball off. That's when I reworked the power core (after much swearing and screaming). I like it better like this. 

Got a Power Core? Then you will need a DCS Power Node. Each Power Core can power up to thirty Power Nodes that can be up to 35 miles away. Ideal for those outlaying farms and research stations. Like the Power Core the Power Node can be recharged using a plasma weapon which allows it to operate as a stand alone power source for limited periods of time when the Power Core is offline. 
The Power Core is built from a bead, an old cassette player roller (remember those?) and a Mantic base. Easy and quick. 

Every colony needs water and many colonies are dry arid worlds. DCS provides your water supply needs with the Moisture Grabber. This works filtering water vapor from the atmosphere and distilling it. 
This was made from some electrical terminal covers, a pen top and a couple of rawl plugs. 

Liquid Storage. 

Made from electrical covers (behind the barrels). The Barrels are from a toy set and where far too large for 28mm scale. Some odds & ends from the bits box adorn. 


Every outpost needs some sort of communications...

A simple one. Made from a bottle top, pen top and a senor dish from a toy van. 

Storage Barrels
Made from old dust caps. 

Storage piles/objectives
Made from odds & ends found in the bottom of my bits box. 

Are you still with me? Still awake? Want more? Oh yes there is more. I have saved the best for last (I think). 

I had a pile of bits left over from other projects so I decided to make a building typical of a Frontier World. 




Out of all the bits the windows took the longest to make. As there is several companies that now provide windows for 15mm Sci Fi I will be going that route. I plan an entire table of these buildings. Each will be a little different to the next. I hope to build a urban (dump) nest like the one found in the town of Haven in the Borderlands Computer game. 

That's all for now folks - thanks for looking!! 

1 comment: