For those of you that don't know Eilif from the Chicago Skirmish Wargamers is running a Elevated Terrain Competition over on the Post Apocalyptic Wargames Forum. The prize is a selected box of stuff to make terrain with. This competition runs up to the 1st December 2014.
The Rules are as follows:
"Welcome to "Building Up!", the 2014 Terrain Competition. Read on for details regarding entry, documentation and prize! I'll be starting additional competition related threads over the next couple days, but here's what we know so far.
The task in this competition is to build a piece of terrain where height a factor. This does not have to be a skyscraper or even a large piece, but height or elevation should be an important part of the theme and/or execution. Extra weight will be given to creative interpretations of the theme and for structures where the top of the construction is notably larger than the base. As you would expect, much of the judging will be based on the quality of execution.
As for the content of your creation, stock commercially produced terrain items can be part, but should not be the majority. Some preference in judging will be given to creations making more use of scratchbuilding, kitbashing, toybashing, creative use of found items, etc. The Judging will be handled by myself (Eilif).
What can I win?
The winner will receive a box of terrain making supplies. What's in the box and how big? Not sure of the size or contents yet, but it will be a mix of my favorite bits and materials from my own personal stash of terrain making supplies. Further it will include at least one miniature and a vehicle. I will converse with the winner to find out what kind terrain they like to build and will endeavor to adjust the contents, but NO guarantees will be made regarding specific content or volume.
Regarding the "In Progress" topic.
All entries must have a work-in-progress thread. This can be as simple or complex as you want, but you must supply some pictorial evidence that you built this thing. I hope that folks will take this opportunity to share their creative process with the community, but I won't issue more detailed requirements and you will not be judged on your in-progress topic.
Submitting your finished Project.
The Finished Project will be displayed in a single post on a topic that I will create for that purpose. The post will have at least 2 and no more than 5 pictures of the finished project and may include a one paragraph description if you wish. More pictures can be posted in the WIP thread for the community to enjoy, but that single post will be what the judge uses to evaluate your finished project.
Other Official and procedural rules:
1. The comp is for members and moderators only
2. It's open to members who have been registered from the start of that month.
3. Members with a post count of less than 10 cannot enter, but those posts can occur after the start of the competition.
4. Members cannot enter unless they have introduced themselves in the bar as per forum rules.
5. The forum owner has the authority to pull the competition if the competition runs into chaos.
6. The moderators are fully endorsed to block or ban members/posts who break the rules.
7. The competition owner (Eilif) can pull the competition at any time or change categories at the last minute.
8. Eilif is the organizer for Chicago Skirmish Wargames. Members of that club are welcome (and encouraged) to participate, but the prize box will go to the best non-CSW-affiliated entry.
9. The comp will start September 1st 2014 and conclude December 1st 201410. All participants will open an "in progress" topic as noted above."
So if you want a chance. Sign up, Introduce yourself at the Bar and get posting. You need to have a post count above 10 to enter. After that you are free to have a go. If you do enter Good Luck!