Saturday, 20 October 2018

Town signs

One of my many side projects was to make up some signs for the fortress walls. I wanted a sign with the town name on them. The problem is there are a couple of townships on mattblackgod’s world the fortress walls could be used for. Wastetopia in the ruins of the mattblack mega city and Rubbleborg in what is known as the Brittannia wastelands. In addition I didn’t want to paint a chosen name on in case another township pops up. 

So I opted on removable signs I could mount on the walls. I have a stock of gift cards. I chopped them up to make two signs. Using brass picture frame wire I made two mounting ropes for each sign. These just hook over the rebar and other junk on the walls. 

No sign



Each sign was painted brown and then had various shades of brown to orange added. When happy the town name was painted on in white. 

A simple easy bit of work which helps reuse my old fortress walls in many settings. 

Thanks for looking. Stay safe out there.

Terrain refresh pt 1. The Fortress gates.

Hello and welcome back,

Yikes a month since my last post. My social life has stepped up a gear . In addition to this illness, a trading course, a visit to watch the rugby league grand final, vehicle issues and my wife’s health not being great has kept me from getting any serious hobby time in. I have gotten a little bit in here and there. Mainly vehicles and the terrain update. More on the vehicles in another post. 

In this post I am going to focus on the first model in my terrain refresh. Inspired by Curtis of Ramshackle games model’s from Helsreach table we did together at this year’s Oldhammer event, I decided the fort gate would be the first thing to work on. 



Some battle damage was added with the tip of a Philips head screwdriver. The cheap  artists acrylic white paint was dry brushed onto the model. This stuff goes almost translucent when it is painted on. It took the shade of the concrete up a few tones making it feel more like old concrete. It also made the graffiti look like it was old and faded. This was the longest part of the job as I did several heavy dry brushes. 

I picked up some dropper bottles and paint mixing kit from amazon. Using more cheap artists acrylic paint I mixed up batches of wash. This was in 1 part paint to 5 parts water. The colours I mixed was dark brown, brown, brown/orange (rust brown), orange and green. 

The walls started with the darker brown washes and I worked up. Rust brown and orange washes where applied to the the metal parts and gate. The dropper bottles allowed me to put runs of brown and orange from the bits of rusty metal down the walls. The top parts of the wall got a dark brown wash to simulate the black algae buildup concrete can get. 

That’s it cheap and cheerful. The other fortress wall sections will get the same treatment in the fullness of time. They may also get some new details and ramshackle repairs. 

Thanks for looking. 

Take care out there.