Wednesday 1 January 2020

Mytharth

Hello and welcome back to my hobby blog. 


Now for something completely different.



During the dying weeks of 2019 I have been thinking more and more about a fantasy setting, which is weird as Fantasy has done nothing for me (hobbywise) for at least 3 decades. In some respects this may be my desire to paint figures in something other than the usual blacks, greys, drab green and browns that seem to be a staple in the post apocalyptic genre. 


The idea is to collect random fantasy figures and fit them into my own setting. I started by picking up the Frostgrave rulebook (as usual years late to the party) and strangely I enjoyed the fluff. Admittedly battling warbands in ancient ruins hell bent on grabbing as much loot as they can is very similar to some of the Post apocalyptic games I like. 


There was some debate scale wise. 15mm is far cheaper and is easier to store. 28mm offers a lot more variety figure wise and my current figure collection can be raided for all manner of critters. Deep in my figure store there lies some treasures from the late 80’s which I expect may need repainting but it will be nice to see them on the table again. 


The fantasy world is called “Mytharth”. I am not expecting this to be the usual Lord of the rings clone jaunt. Apart from Frostgrave, my main inspirations are Terry Pratchett’s Discworld, The age of Hyboria/Conan, Shriek and Mythology. Like Mattblackgod’s World this will be a whole world setting. I am resisting the temptation to start a blog purely for this but then Wild Galaxy and Blood & Fire use this blog too. Best keep it all in one place. 


Initially I will start by using figures already in my collection to make some Frostgrave warbands. I should try and get some terrain built for it too. Plus I may start looking into making a Wizard faction. Then I will be creating and inventing in my usual haphazard manner collecting figures that grab my imagination. 


Thanks for reading


Stay safe out there. 


4 comments:

  1. Must be something in the air, over the last few days, I dug out and inventoried my old fantasy figs, with the idea of slowly painting them up, and tinkering with the revival of my old fantasy world.

    It will be fun to see where all of this goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice, I look forward to seeing your take on a fantasy setting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. cool idea,i hope to see your new world soon! ew

    ReplyDelete