Tuesday 11 October 2022

In Memorandum RIP Ted Stevenson

I have some sad news. My Dad passed away on Sunday. Normally I wouldn’t post this to my hobby blog but there is a good reason. 


My Dad loved his scale models and he got me into it when I was 4. I still recall the kit, a 1/72 Airfix Curtis Hawk. It started a love of model making. In the mid 80s he bought a wargames magazine as he was planning a battle of Arnhem diorama and there was a article in the magazine. I saw the magazines and realised there was something more I could do with my models other than just display them. It made me think and wonder. 


Being a huge Lord of the Rings fan he turned up one day with the original metal Citadel Fellowship of the ring set (which I still have) and told me of a new shop selling them in Liverpool city centre. A shiny new Games Workshop store. I had to check it out and with my paper round money bought my first blister pack of metal dwarves and fell in love with a new aspect of my hobby. A hobby he inspired in me. The rest is history.


Without my Dad’s inspiration there is a good chance this Blog and the Post Apocalyptic Wargames Forum would not exist. 


RIP Ted Stevenson 29-11-1945 to 09-10-2022 - thank you for everything Dad. You will never be forgotten.


Thanks for reading. Take care out there.

5 comments:

  1. Sorry for your loss, he obviously inspired you a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please accept my condolences for your loss. I'm sure many of us can relate to you in the huge support, encouragement and influence our Dad's have had on us, including in our hobby. My father would indulge my interest by regularly going in to City Models and Toys in Liverpool to buy model soldiers for me when I was a teenager. Without that, like you, I might not have developed the interest I still have in wargaming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear. You have my deepest condolences. It sounds like he really nurtured your creativity. Original Lord of the Rings miniatures? The man had a good eye 🧐. And he obviously knew that with kids a little encouragement goes a long way 🙂

    I got my start in plastic models too, and I remember my dad working on a model Viking ship when I was a kid. So many bits and I remember the shields all needed little decals... I was also lucky that my family were very supportive of my nerdy hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry for your loss. I can relate to that feeling and I can tell the best way to honour his memory will be, among many other things, keeping on the hobby. All the best.

    ReplyDelete